Thursday 4 June 2015

Butter London Lippy Bloody Brilliant Lip Crayon in Ladybird and Ruby Murray

Each season, it seems like more brands are diversifying into makeup. First, it was luxe fashion brands like Burberry and Gucci, with H&M about to jump on the wagon in a major way. Nail polish brands like Butter London and Ciate are also getting into the game. I chanced across the Butter London makeup display at Ulta and these Lippy Bloody Brilliant Lip Crayons caught my eye.

Priced at US$20, these aren't exactly cheap but they swatched very nicely with a slick finish. As usual, I went for the darkest berry shade and the most vibrant one, namely Ruby Murray and Ladybird.

These are made in Germany and come with an sharpener built into the cap as well as a pick for cleaning the sharpener. While the sharpener and pick do come in handy and help to justify the higher price point compared to the average twist-up lip crayon, they also make the crayon longer and clunkier than those by other brands. It would have been good if the sharpener could be stored separately.

Butter London describes these as having the intense shine of a gloss plus highly pigmented colour with the full coverage of a lipstick, boosted with mango seed oil and marula oil for moisturising benefits, plus niacinamide to help maintain the skin barrier.

I was happy with both the shades I picked. They glided onto the lips without dragging, while providing enough control for precise application. They were superbly comfortably to wear and did not feel drying even after a few hours. They do come off at the slightest touch though, so they are not smear-proof but this is to be expected of glossy shades. The colour payoff was impressive, with Ladybird being slightly more opaque than Ruby Murray. The wear time was excellent, and it was easy to wipe these off after a meal without the need for the frantic rubbing required by Stila Stay All Day Liquid Lipstick.

Pic below shows Ruby Murray.


Pic below shows Ladybird, a bright tomato orange.

Ingredients list below.

With my purchase, I received a deluxe sample of their Iconoclast Mega Volume Lacquer Mascara, which promises a 300% increase in volume. The brush design reminded me of Givenchy's Phenomen'Eyes Mascara. This turned out to be pretty average with nothing much to justify the price premium over drugstore options so I will not be investing in a full size.

2 comments:

Lena L said...

Both colors look very pretty on you! I have the Ladybird polish and I love matching lips and nails in general, but I'd probably go for something sheerer for Ladybird myself. :)
I've recently tried Deborah Lippmann lipsticks which are quite nice quality with beautiful finish, but personally I think these nail brand lippies should be priced similar to MAC, no higher.

Haru said...

hi Lena,
I haven't seen the Deborah Lippmann makeup line in person yet. I agree, these nailpolish brands should make more affordable makeup lines that are accessible to a larger range of consumers. MAC's quality is so uneven these days, I don't really bother anymore.