Sunday 1 September 2013

By Terry Graphism Haul and Guerlain Tenue de Perfection Foundation Review

Earlier this week, I chanced across the By Terry Graphism collection for autumn and fell in love with a few of the new items. After swatching their Crayon Kohl Terrybly, I think I've finally found an eyeliner pencil that can beat Pixi's Endless Silky Eye Pen in terms of velvety creaminess and lasting power. Their Ombre Blackstar eye crayons are also excellent but I already have a huge collection of Kiko crayons so I skipped those.

Naturally, the By Terry liners are much pricier at €24 each (for 1.2g), but luckily I had a 10% Sephora discount voucher just waiting to be used. These are waterproof and made in Germany. They lay down intense color from the very first pass with virtually zero pressure on the skin, which means there is no tugging at all of the fragile eyelid skin. I purchased the two new shades, #8 Emerald Evasion and #9 Royal Navy (which is not navy at all but a modern bright blue reminiscent of Urban Decay Chaos from the Vice palette and NARS Outremer).

Each Crayon Khol comes thoughtfully packaged with its own sharpener, that also includes a slim tool for cleaning the blade.


I also picked up the Hyaluronic Sheer Rouge #Plum Plump Girl (€29, 3g). Enriched with hyaluronic acid, this lipstick balm is supposed to help moisturise, fill in wrinkles, boost volume and protect the lips in a 'plumping glossy' colored veil. I was pleasantly surprised by how intensely pigmented it was. There is no shimmer or gritty glitter bits at all. It glided on smoothly, depositing so much color on the first pass that I only had to apply it to my upper lip, and pressed my lips together to transfer the color to my lower lip. This is made in Italy.

The last item I purchased was the Hyaluronic Blush #3 Bubble Glow (€32, 15ml), a girlish pink livened up with micro flecks of shimmer. The shimmer is visible on the skin only when seen at very close range. This gives a translucent wash of color that can be layered for the desired level of intensity. The squeeze tube has a very thin nozzle, which makes it easy to control the amount dispensed. The texture is similar to Becca Cheek Tints and is easy to blend to a natural flush of healthy color. It is pricey but contains twice the amount of product as Becca's version.

Swatches on bare skin without primer. Once the Crayon Khols set, they are budgeproof and do not smear even when I rub my fingertip over them repeatedly.


For this look, I wore the Crayon Khol in Emerald Evasion paired with Paul & Joe Eye Color Set CS 087 Peau D'Ane, Bubble Glow on the cheeks and Plum Plump Girl on the lips.

The Sephora SA also gave me a generous sample of Guerlain's new Tenue de Perfection liquid foundation SPF20 PA++ in #12 Rose Clair, which I am wearing here. Tenue de Perfection is touted as offering up to 16 hours of wear. It works by forming a film over the skin of three volatile oils that evaporate one after the other (sounds like Armani's Maestro foundation) while soft focus micro powders smooth the epidermis and reduce fine lines and imperfections, and beads of silica reduce excess sebum.

The shade range for Tenue de Perfection seems to run darker than their other foundations, so I highly recommend getting a proper match at the counter before investing in this. #12 Rose Clair, which was the one of the two lightest shades at Sephora France, was still a tad dark for my skintone. It offers surprisingly good coverage - between medium to full, which is definitely more than Maestro. This retails for US$59 on Nordstrom.com and €49 in France.

I liked how it evened out my skintone, reducing redness and the appearance of pores. It was also easy to apply using just my fingertips. It does seem to last well over the five hours that I had it on (it's rare that I need to wear makeup for 16 hours), although I had to blot my T-zone every couple of hours. However, I can see this being unsuitable for dry skintypes though as it will probably emphasise dry patches. I would have considered purchasing this except for the lack of a good shade match.

5 comments:

The Driveller Kate said...

THAT BLUE :O

Maya said...

Emerald Evasion is GORGEOUS! How does it compare to Pixi's Emerald Gold, Iris?

I almost got Emerald Gold but Emerald Evasion is stunning!

Haru said...

hi Maya,
Emerald Evasion is darker green compared to Pixi's Emerald Gold which is brighter and has gold shimmer flecks which Emerald Evasion does not have. Emerald Evasion is also more intensely pigmented. Just touching it gently against the skin lays down incredible color. Love them both!

Sara Kye said...

Wow, Plum Plump Girl looks like such a gorgeous shade when worn! It looks great on you!

Michelle said...

ooooo I need the crayon kohls!