Sunday 28 November 2010

Magie Deco Shadow Brilliance II

On my recent trip to Osaka, I also picked up a couple of Magie Deco Shadow Brilliance II palettes and a Pure Color eyeshadow single in addition to the holiday coffret. The palettes are 5775yen (about S$88) each while the Pure Color eyeshadow is 1575yen (about S$25).

The gold and pink packaging of the Shadow Brilliance compacts is less elaborate than that of their higher end sister brand, Cosme Decorte AQ. The cases tend to attract fingerprints though but I like that they are slim and lightweight and thus, convenient for carrying around.

The plastic sheet overlay is printed with the suggested use for each shade, with more detailed application instructions in the included leaflet, as shown below.

The ingredients list is printed only in Japanese with the first ingredient as talc. Other ingredients include lavender flower water, almond oil, rose and safflower extracts and tocopherol. It also contains mineral oil, fragrance and methylparaben.

Each palette contains 4.8g of product. To compare, Jill Stuart's Jewel Crystal Eyes are 6g, Lunasol's Nature Color Eyes are 6.5g and Dior quints are 6g.

DC037 Dream Star is from this year's fall collection. The "DC" prefix denotes gradational shade combinations while "LC" denotes combinations with more contrasting shades.

The texture of the eyeshadows is quite soft and silky, which makes them easy to blend. The shimmer is very refined without any chunky glitter bits.

The only drawback is that they all tend to apply sheer, so it takes quite a bit of layering if you prefer a more intense finish.


LC032 Boulder Opal, from this year's spring collection, is a more unusual combination of sky blue, light mint and smoky grey and silver. Once again, the shades all apply relatively sheer, so a good primer is necessary to get them to show up better and last throughout the day.

I did two looks with this. For the first one, I applied the light green shade from the inner corners to the middle of the lid, blended into the dark grey and blue shades at the outer corners. I used the white shade over the browbone area and a mixture of the dark grey and green shades along the lower lashline.


For the second look, I applied the blue shade over the eye socket area, the green shade at the inner corners and the dark grey shade along the upper lashline. I used the white shade over the browbone area and a mix of the silver and green shade along the lower lashline.

I actually forgot to do my brows before taking the pic below! Anyway, I decided to post it anyway so that you can see the difference that groomed brows can make to the overall look. My current daily staple is K-Palette Real Lasting Eyebrow 24h 01.

Overall, I liked the refined texture of the Magie Deco eyeshadows and the fact that they don't have any fallout problems (which I sometimes experience with Jill Stuart and Lunasol). However, I wish they had better colour payoff and applied more true to how they appear in the pan, especially for Boulder Opal.

5 comments:

kuri said...

they look like lovely palettes. it's a pity about the sheerness, but they look great on you!

yannie said...

Boulder Opal looks like it would really make brown-black pop. It looks really pretty on you!

Haru said...

Hi Yannie,
Thanks! Boulder Opal does complement black eyes quite nicely.

hi kuri,
Thank you!

Hannah said...

Thanks to your post, I decided to check out this brand during my recent trip to Tokyo and ended up getting 2 eye palettes. I like how silky smooth the eyeshadows are and the not-so-usual colour combi.

I was puzzled to find no application instruction enclosed when I got back to the hotel. The SA must have removed it when she opened the palettes for me to check. But luckily you had posted an image of it in your post! Thanks! :D

Haru said...

Glad to be of help, Hannah! Have fun trying out your new palettes!